I had missed the Photo-eye best of 2008 list, but it was brought to my attention at photo l.a. by Jeffery Ladd, who made one of the lists, (but alas I did not).
So check this out and follow the various matrix of links to the various best of 2008 books lists, a ton of recommended books to consider. Such as:
Markus Schaden, Bookseller & Publisher, Schaden
- soul and soul K Suzuki n-licht
- Sommerherz Ehling Kehrer
- Schles, New History of Photography White Press
- Yasuhiko Uchihara Son of a Bit Seigensha 2008
- Stephen Shore A Road Trip Journal Phaidon 2008
- Stefania Gurdowa Negatives are to be stored Fundacja Imago Mundi 2008
- Alec Soth The Last Days of W. A little Brown Mushroom 2008
- Rob Hornstra 101 Billionaires .Borotov 2008
- Koji Onaka The Dog in France .Sokyu-sha 2008
- Tobias Zielony Trona – Armpit of America Zielony / Spector 2008
And another by Darius Himes, Photographer, Publisher, Radius Books
- Stephen Shore, A Road Trip Journal, Phaidon.
- Martin Parr, ParrWorld, Aperture.
- Larry Towell, The World From My Front Porch, Stephen Bulger Gallery and Archive of Modern Conflict.
- Richard Benson, The Printed Picture, MoMA.
- Mikhael Subotzky, Beaufort West, Chris Boot.
- Eugene Richards, The Blue Room, Phaidon.
- Jules Spinatsch, Highlights International, Kodoji.
- Ari Marcopolis, The Chance is Higher, Dashwood Books.
- Obata Yuji, Wintertale, Sokyu-Sha.
- Various Photographers (both Iranian and European), Iran, A Winter Journey, Fotohof
- Risaku Suzuki, Yuki/Sakura, Nazraeli Press
3 Bonus Books (If my own books aren’t my favorites, then what am I doing!?)
- Julie Blackmon, Domestic Vacations, Radius Books.
- Michael Lundgren, Transfigurations, Radius Books. (coming soon)
- Lee Friedlander, Lee Friedlander: New Mexico, Radius Books. (coming soon)
And photo-eye then noted that these 10 seemed to be on a lot of the lists;
Stephen Shore; A Road Trip Journal (Phaidon)
Michael Subotzky: Beaufort West (Chris Boot)
Joseph Koudelka; Invasion 68 Prague (Aperture)
Larry Towell; The World From My Front Porch (Chris Boot)
Rob Hornstra; 101 Billionaires (Borotov)
The Books on Books Series (Errata Editions)
David Maisel; Library of Dust (Chronicle)
Dayanita Singh; Sent a Letter (Steidl)
Robert Frank; The Americans (Steidl) Agree!
Stephen Gill; A Series of Disappointments (Nobody)
So, do you think that they missed any or were any in the “what were they thinking” catagory??
Best regards, Douglas Stockdale